Monday, August 29, 2011

Saying Goodbye to a Long-time Friend!!

Today I said goodbye to a long-time friend -- one that I had been "friends" with since, I think, the late '90s.  This friend had done so much for me, and especially my self-esteem, and had gotten me hundreds of compliments over the years.  When I discovered this friend back that summer, I never envisioned that she would be a part of my life for so long, but it did not take long for me to get used to having her around.  As I got older and my eyesight began to fail me, she came to the rescue. 

My oncologist's office told me that I needed to have my acryllic nails removed, and today was the day I followed the command.  After somewhere between 12 - 14 years with them on daily (of course, changed out every six months or so), I am now looking at my painfully thin, weird feeling natural nails.  Typing on the laptop feels totally strange.  Doing anything with my hands right now feels weird.  Hopefully over the next few weeks and months, my nails will strengthen and harden and begin to feel more normal.    Oh, well, in the big scheme of things, my pretty nails of the past are not really that important. 

I'll be saying goodbye later this week to something else close to me, I'm sure -- my hair.  I can tell it's thinning, although I've yet to see any hair laying around anywhere.  The texture has definitely changed -- to something so baby fine that I can't do anything with it without totally stressing it out.  So, I'm thinking when I take my wig to my hairdresser (hopefully this week) for a cut and style, I will just get her to buzz my head!  There's power in deciding yourself when you're going to be bald rather than letting your hair fall out in clumps!!  And, as Ken pointed out, too, no clogged drains in the tub!!



Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment