I survived my five days in Auburn. Sorority recruitment (i.e., rush) is officially over for the Cushing family. I think Jenn is relieved that this was her last time to be involved in such a busy and tiring week. But it was a great week for Pi Phi. They were really thrilled with their new pledge class. Jenn and her executive committee did a great job getting ready for rush and keeping everything going smoothly. I was so proud of her and the job she did. She didn't get much sleep and was totally exhausted by Saturday evening.
I met several new really sweet moms and reconnected with old friends I had known for the last three years. Despite all the hard work and standing on our feet for long periods of time, we managed to have fun too. The moms would not let me help with the late night decorating and climbing and hanging decorations, which, in hindsight, was a good thing, I guess. I was totally exhausted even doing the limited amount of stuff I was able to do. Guess I'm out of shape from not exercising in almost four weeks!!
I had my chemo port placed yesterday at the hospital. Had to be there at 7:00 a.m., and I expected to be home by 11:00. But things don't always go as planned. It was probably 2:30 before we finally got home. My surgery, I thought, was supposed to be at 9:00. The nurse had a hard time getting an IV in -- blew the first vein out that she tried. She got the IV in on the second attempt, but it was so painful that within five minutes my fingers went numb, so she had to take it out. She gave up and sent me on to the holding area outside the OR where one of the anthesiology students got the IV in with minimal problems.
This surgery has been much, much more painful than the breast surgery, which was a surprise to me. I figured it would be no big deal, but the pain last night and today has been pretty bad. I called Dr. Winchester's nurse, Donna, today, and found out, much to my surprise, that apparently Dr. W. had a hard time getting my port placed and that it was not surprising that I was in more pain and have more swelling than expected. Argghhh. She says it will pass in a day or two and to just pamper myself. LOL I don't usually need anyone to give me an excuse to do that, but I'm thinking I will take her seriously and be a bum for the next two or three days. I'm still planning on going wig shopping this week, and I have a dentist appointment in the morning. Apparently you need to get all dental work done before going through chemo, so I'm getting my not-so-pearly whites cleaned in the morning!!
On a positive note, my cousin David who was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer got the results of his bone scan today, and his cancer has not spread. He is to begin hormone treatment soon and will most likely have surgery in October. He, like me, has a huge support group around him praying.
Prayers needed for everyone fighting this awful beast known as cancer!!!
Love you all,
Rachel
No comments:
Post a Comment