As I sat here and pondered what to say on this night before the 1st chemo treatment, I thought about trying to do a spoof poem (thus the title above). However, I'm not a poet, and I "know-it". So I'll spare myself and y'all the agony of reading my attempts at poetry -- never was any good at creative writing, i.e., poetry in school anyway!!
This weekend has been a good one. Having the girls and Travis here to help celebrate Ken's belated birthday was special. In spite of being sick, Jenn came home anyway. She loves her dad (and mom too, I know). She went to a local "doc-in-a-box" yesterday and got a steroid shot and an antibiotic, so hopefully she will feel much better tomorrow!
I am at peace with what's coming tomorrow. Mama asked me today if I was anxious (I think that's the word she used). I honestly can say that right now I'm not nervous, not anxious, not afraid but am ready to get this next phase of treatment going. I'm planning on getting a good night's sleep -- of course, I always plan on getting a good night's sleep, but sometimes sleep eludes me. I read a post by another cancer survivor who suggested staying up all night before chemo treatments so that you'll sleep through the treatments. Somehow, I don't think that would work for me. I am just not a person who very easily sleeps during daylight hours. Besides I'm afraid if I fell asleep in the chemo chair, I might snore!!! Can't be doing that in front of others. LOL
Our song leader at church services this morning led one of my all-time favorite hymns, "Be With Me, Lord." As we sang, I couldn't help but think how appropriate and how encouraging that song is right now for me:
BE WITH ME, LORD
Be with me, Lord, I cannot live without Thee,
I dare not try to take one step alone;
I cannot bear the loads of life, unaided,
I need Thy strength to lean myself upon.
Be with me, Lord, and then if dangers threaten,
If storms of trial burst above my head;
If lashing seas leap everywhere about me,
They cannot harm or make my heart afraid.
Be with me, Lord, no other gift or blessing
Thou couldst bestow could with this one compare;
A constant sense of Thy abiding presence,
Wher-e'er I am to feel that Thou art near.
Be with me, Lord, when loneliness o'ertakes me,
When I must weep amid the fires of pain,
And when shall come the hour of my departure
For "worlds unknown", O Lord, be with me there.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Such comforting thoughts, no matter what we trials we are facing.
Rachel
No comments:
Post a Comment