Well, day 1 in Auburn, for me, is over. I'm sitting in my hotel room, watching TV and trying to work on a job. I'm whipped, and I didn't get down here till mid afternoon. LOL. Who knew passing out frozen grapes and ice water to 100 girls after each party could be so exhausting. Haha. Jenn has given strict orders that I'm not allowed to do more than that. We will see what tomorrow holds. It will be a long day tomorrow, starting at 7:30 a.m. There are only four parties in the morning, and then we will serve lunch and will then have a break while the girls are voting. Then decorating the chapter room for skit day starts after that. With Jenn having her own private room on the hall, I'll probably just go in there to rest while we moms have some down time. The other moms here aren't letting me overdo either. I guess my biggest contribution this week will be moral support for Jenn. Rush (now called "recruitment") is going well, and right now all the girls seem to be in good spirits. That may change as the stress level rises and the lack of sleep catches up with them. Bid day is Sunday.
This is my third, and last, time to be a rush mom. Never in my life did I imagine that one day I'd be helping with sorority activities or that I'd even have a daughter in a sorority. Before Jenn became a member of Pi Phi, I had preconceived notions of sorority life (some not so nice, I admit). There are definite stereotypes about sororities and fraternities, some of which I'm sure are true, but others, I believe, are just that -- stereotypes. I've met so many wonderful girls, and their moms, as a result of Jenn's involvement in Pi Phi, and the majority of them do not fit the usual stereotypical descriptions associated with Greek life. When we walk out in the chapter room after parties carrying our frozen grapes, mints, and cups of ice water, all I hear is "thank you so much," "y'all are the best," "we couldn't do this without you moms." It does my heart good to see gratitude and appreciation expressed by so many 19, 20 and 21 year-olds. Gives me hope for the next generation. When I read blogs like Erin wrote today and see her maturity, wisdom and faith, and I see Jenn, and all that she has accomplished as the president, and leader, of her sorority, all while excelling in her classes in Chemical Engineering,
I realize how proud, and humbled, I am to be their mom. I made lots of mistakes as a mother (who doesn't), but obviously I must have done some things right. I give all the credit, though, for the way they turned out to their dad -- who's the best dad and husband!! All the mistakes I made in my younger years, I more than made up for when I married Ken -- a better man I could not have picked for my girls' dad!!
Love you all,
Rachel
No comments:
Post a Comment