Well, this week has been dedicated to looking for wigs -- both online and in the stores. Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, there are hundreds of wigs online to look at, but in the three or four stores here in the Birmingham area that sell wigs, there are not nearly as many choices.
On Wednesday Ann and I went looking in the Hoover area (where the shops are all located). We went first to a place called Anita's Wigs where I tried on a few wigs -- I even tried on a gray/silver wig because I wanted to see what I might look like when my hair grows back gray!! It was quite a sight. We took some pictures, but since I haven't figured out how to upload pics to my blog yet, y'all don't get to experience the laughs we did seeing what I looked like. Actually when we got over the shock, Ann and I both decided it didn't look too bad; however, the pictures we took obviously didn't do it justice because when I showed the pictures to Erin and Ken, they were like, hmmmm, like the darker colors better!! So I guess I won't be getting the foxy lady silver-headed wig yet.
Ann even put the silver wig on top of her head, leaving her long dark head hanging out below, and said, "look, it's Cruella deVille." We definitely had fun with that one.
We went to a couple of other stores and tried on several more wigs and found a couple of possibilities and decided on the exact color. Wigs come in so many styles, and each style can be ordered in so many different color combinations. With so many options, it's confusing, to say the least.
Cindy J. and I went back yesterday to two of the same stores -- mainly just to confirm our choices from Wednesday. We left there pretty sure about one style/color, but I didn't buy it -- mainly because I'm trying to decide whether to buy it from the store, and get their good customer service, or buy it online and save over half the cost. That's right, it's less than half the price online. The "thrifty, bargain shopper" in me tells me to buy it online; but the practical, "don't know what I'm doing with a wig" side tells me to buy from the expert who will style, cut and help me maintain it. If the store was close to Trussville, I'd definitely buy from the store, but since it's not, I'm not sure.
Ken, Erin and Travis all think I need to find a really short wig (like my present hairstyle) which I have not even considered. Apparently they like my shortie cut. I like the ease of styling and coolness in this oppressive heat, but I'm not too sure about how good it looks this short. I might as well get used to it, though, because once it starts falling out in a couple of weeks, I won't see my hair this long for a long time. Somebody told me it takes about a year of hair growth to get any sort of decent length. I guess that makes sense. Maybe by this time next year my hair will be back to its present length of one, two, maybe three inches in spots. LOL
Decisions, decisions...... I need to make a decision. Which everyone that knows me knows I struggle sometimes with decisions. Good thing I've already got a good many headcovers in case the wig buying gets totally bogged down. Erin and Travis brought me a couple of really cute covers, one a sleep cap and the other a really cute taupe cover with a decorative scarf. I'm thinking I might need some new clothes to match all my cute head covers!!!!! (Sorry, Ken, just kidding!!!)
Tonight we are going to belatedly celebrate Ken's birthday which was on Tuesday. Jenn is coming home later today, and Erin and Travis are here. Got to get busy, though. Lots to do before tonight.
Happy (belated) birthday to the bestest hubby out there -- Kenneth Mayhew Cushing!!
Chemo starts Monday at 11:00. I'm as ready as I'll ever be! Let's get this show on the road. The sooner I start, the sooner it will be over.
Rachel
I like the new look of your blog...haha :)
ReplyDeleteLOL. Some blog fairy gave it a facelift this weekend!! Love you.
ReplyDelete