Today was the visit with my oncologist, Dr. Cara Bondly. I absolutely feel a connection with her and know that I am in good hands. She is so easy to talk to.
I am having a port inserted next Monday, the 15th. I thought long and hard about trying to just have the chemo given IV rather than through a port, but everyone I've talked to who has had ports say they are definitely the way to go. With only one arm available for IVs, the chances of blowing out veins (for the remainder of my life) outweighs the risk of a port infection. The outpatient procedure should be no big deal. I don't even know if they will actually put me to sleep or just do a local anesthetic.
Chemo will begin on Monday, August 22 at 11:00. I will have four treatments of the drugs Epirubicin and Cytoxan. These will be every other week. Then I will have four treatments of a drug called Taxotere. This will be every three weeks. If I've done the math correctly, and if nothing interferes with the schedule (like low blood counts and/or infections), then I should finish chemo the week before Christmas --- YAY, what a Christmas present!!!
Although I have not yet met with the radiation oncologist, I'm assuming that radiation will start shortly after the completion of chemo. I will have to have full breast radiation which will be five days a week for 5 to 7 weeks, I think.
So hopefully by the 1st of March all this treatment will be behind me, and I will be officially declared cancer-free!!
I have a few trips planned for this fall, and if my treatments stay on schedule (and I am planning on them staying on schedule), I will definitely be making those trips. And, of course, there's those Saturday football games that I've got circled on the calendar. Treatments will be on Monday/Tuesdays, so I should be feeling okay by the weekends!!
Life is good. I am blessed.
Rachel
No comments:
Post a Comment