Tuesday, July 19, 2011

More Shock

Well, my blogging efforts today have been futile.  Two times I have typed what I wanted to say, and TWO times I have failed to get it posted properly and lost what I wrote both times.  Oh, well, some days are just not blog days, I guess. 

With each new try, this post is getting shorter and shorter, so here is the super-condensed version. 

Yesterday was pre-op testing at the hospital.  Before doing that, however, I went to Dr. Winchester's office to get some answers to questions that had been bothering me all weekend.  I was shocked to learn that I did not have the type of breast cancer that, since Friday's appointment,  I had thought that I had.  I have triple negative breast cancer -- a very aggressive type of cancer, but which coincidentally is the same type that one of my best friends was diagnosed with in 2005.  She got to her 5 year anniversary back in December which, for this type of cancer, is the time to celebrate.  Apparently, if you get to that point with no recurrences, then the likelihood that the cancer will come back is much, much lower than for those cancers that are more easily treated initially, i.e., hormone driven breast cancers.  She made her magic mark, and I have every intention and anticipation that I will too.  She is my role model on handling this situation with grace, determination and keeping her faith in God strong.  I plan to follow her footsteps in this journey.

I got to meet my oncologist, Dr. Cara Bondly, yesterday.  I immediately felt a connection with her -- partly because she eased my fears about what treatment options we had and partly because she patiently answered every question I had.  She's 39 years old and came to St. Vincent's about five years ago from the Mayo Clinic.   She did confirm that I will have aggressive chemotherapy and that I will lose my hair.  Chemo will last 5-6 months, I think, and then I'll have a month or so of radiation. 

1st order of business after getting over the surgery (hopefully in two weeks or less) will be to find a wig and some cute scarves/hats, which may be easier said than done since I have that "honking-big" Holt head.  As long as I can find me some Game Day houndstooth and crimson head gear for those hot fall football games, I'll be satisfied!!  And I guess some cute bathing caps for the pool, too, will be a must!!  No bald head, or wig, in the pool!!

Thought for the day:  Words to an old Gloria Gaynor song entitled "I Will Survive":

"Oh, no, not I, I will survive
Oh, as long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive,
I've got all my life to live, I've got all my love to give,
I will survive, I will survive..."




Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment