As I sit here in the house by myself, I can't help but think about how lucky I am. Not lucky that I have breast cancer. But lucky that the cancer was caught early, apparently, because it has not spread to my lymph nodes. All nodes tested were negative for cancer, so even though this "triple negative Beast" is an aggressive form of breast cancer, I feel like I have a very, very good chance of beating this cancer once and for all -- with no recurrences. Of course, I need to make some lifestyle changes -- primarily cleaning my diet up. I've read reports that say that beyond chemo and radiation, the best way to avoid a recurrence is a healthy lifestyle -- good diet and lots of exercise. I need to step up the exercise too.
I talked to Donna Newton, Dr. Winchester's manager, today. She says they would like for me to wait two weeks to get in the pool, but that if my incisions look like they're healing nicely, that I could go ahead and get in the pool after 10 days. And that means Monday!!! I'm seriously considering it. However, apparently the pool at the Y is having issues with its chemicals this week. The pH is low, I think. Hopefully, they will get the problem straightened out by the first of the week so I can get back in the water. I've missed it so much.
Three of my water aerobics friends came over for a visit today and brought food. Suzanne, Bibby and Cathy, thank you so much. They brought me food from my new favorite place -- Edgar's Bakery. And Suzanne baked me a blueberry and peach cobbler, which is absolutely fabulous. I got into it first thing!!! (Ken, if you're reading this, it might not last till you get home on Sunday).
Ken left today for Monterey, Tennessee. Camp Country Lad, where he was a counselor for years while in college, is having its 50th year celebration this weekend. He will be home on Sunday. I'm sure he needs a getaway from all his responsibilities around here!!
I'm going tomorrow morning for my "pre-chemo" haircut. I'm going to get Kala to cut it off short -- this will be my transition from medium length hair to no hair!!
Life is good, and I am so blessed -- this diagnosis has brought to the forefront of my mind what's really important -- God, family, and friends. My cup overfloweth with all three!!
Rachel
No comments:
Post a Comment