Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Diagnosis

Somehow I always knew at some point in my life I would be given the diagnosis of breast cancer -- not just because I have a family history (mother and grandmother), but because I have some of the known risk factors -- having my first child after age 30, starting my periods before age 12 (TMI, I know), AND having all that excessive weight I've carried all these years.  Hindsight is 20/20 -- I should have done something about that years ago, and maybe I wouldn't be facing this now. 

I've been very faithful about getting my mammograms -- at least every 13 months or so.  LOL.   This year was no different.  I was due to have a mammogran in late May, but didn't actually have it until June 17, the day before we left for the annual Cushing family vacation to Fripp Island, South Carolina.  The technician showed me a spot on the computer screen that day, but I wasn't too worried.  After all, I'd been told for the last several years that I have fibroids and dense tissue, so I figured this was just another fibroid.  No worries.  Didn't say anything to anyone (other than hubby Ken).  When we got back from our "bestest-ever" trip to Fripp, I found in my mailbox a letter from the radiologist telling me that I needed to come back for a more detailed mammogram.  Still not worried. 

I went back for a second mammogram and ultrasound on Wednesday, June 29.  The radiologist then told me that he didn't know what it was -- only that it wasn't a cyst -- and that I needed to have it biopsied.  An appointment was set up for me to see Dr. Susan Winchester, a breast care specialist at St. Vincent's Hospital downtown, on Tuesday, July 5.  Being the internet junkie that I am, I immediately go home and start doing internet searches on breast lumps, etc.  Finding out that only about 20% of lumps are cancer, I'm feeling optimistic that this is something benign. 

After a wonderful 4th of July long weekend at the lake with daughter Erin and son-in-law Travis (and Ken and four-legged grand-dog Bo), it's finally time to see Dr. Winchester.  But first I had to go to the funeral of one of the sweetest Christian ladies I've ever known -- Corky Newsome.    Her memorial service was just that -- a memorial and testimony to her life and the impact she had on all who had the privilege of knowing her. 

My friends Cindy and Mary Kay went with me to Dr. Winchester's office.  Ken had a conference call already scheduled and couldn't get away.  My appointment time was 2:30.  Apparently Dr. Winchester is a very busy doctor, but from all reports, everyone loves her and thinks she's great.  After having another ultrasound, I finally get to meet Dr. Winchester about 5:00 p.m.  Her first question to me was "If you could know today, would you want to?"  Well, duh, of course.  LOL  She had her office call over to the pathology department at the hospital, but, as luck would have it, they had already left for the day.  She told me the initial report would be back in two days and I would need to come back on Thursday.  In my usual need-to-know way, I asked her, "well, do you have an idea," to which she said, "yeah, I know, do you want to know now?"  Hmmm.  Of course!  She tells me that she thinks it's cancer but obviously can't say for 100% until she gets the pathology report.  Then she proceeds to do the biopsy, which was no big deal.  So we finally leave her office at 5:30, and as we leave, I look around her waiting room and it's still half full.  I'm thinking to myself she must really be a good doctor, or there is an awful lot of breast cancer in this town.  She only does breast surgery and endocrine surgery (thyroid maybe?).

Ken and Cindy went with me on Thursday to get the "official" diagnosis.  I have ductile invasive carcinoma  -- fancy name for breast cancer that starts in the milk ducts and gets into the breast tissue (thus, the term invasive).  This is supposedly the most common type of breast cancer.  I'm going tomorrow for an MRI of both breasts and then back to see Dr. Winchester on Friday to get the full results of the biopsy and MRI.  Depending on what those show, we'll discuss how to proceed -- mastectomy or what she calls "partial mastectomy."  Fancy term for lumpectomy with additional tissue around it in order to get clean margins.  I also did the test for the BRACA gene determination to see if I have the known breast cancer genes.  If BCBS agrees to pay for the test ($3,800), then in the unlikely case that I do have that gene, that will change the treatment drastically!  I'm not expecting that to be the case, but for the sake of my girls and my sister, I think it's wise to know.

Whatever we find out on Friday, I just know that I'm going to beat this!  My mom told me that she gave her breast cancer a funny name, and I'm thinking I might just do that too.  She had a very positive attitude while going through her cancer treatment, and she's been cancer free now since 1997.  I'm going to do my best to stay positive and not worry about the future.  I have a wonderful support system -- lots of friends and family who love me and who would do anything for me and a supportive husband who will be there for me, as he says, "to the bitter end!"   LOL 

Well, that's enough for my first attempt at blogging. 



Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment