Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Follow-up Visit with Surgeon

I had my first postop visit to the surgeon's office today.  Everything went well.  Was in and out of her office in about an hour's time -- YAY for no long wait today. 

She was obviously very pleased with her work!!  Her "oncoplasty", as she calls it, looks good.   I can officially drive now since I have full range of motion.  Still can't get in the pool yet, but I've got the date circled -- two weeks from my surgery, which would be Thursday, August 4.  Also I'm still restricted to no heavy lifting, meaning nothing heavier than a gallon of milk, until at least six weeks postop. I'm planning on "helping" Jenn move back into the dorm at AU next Wednesday, but my job will consist mostly of delegating and supervising, I guess.  Poor Jenn and Ken will do the heavy stuff.  But since she was able to store so much of her stuff in the storage room on the hall, this move will be much, much easier (from a moving standpoint at least).  Nothing will keep me from helping my "baby" make her last move as a college student!!!

I see my oncologist on Monday, August 8th to discuss the treatment options and schedule.  I'm guessing chemo will start in late August, possibly early September.  I've got to figure out a way to schedule these treatments around football games and trips planned for the fall.  (Priorities, you know!!)

I've read that the best "medicine" for handling chemo is to keep as normal a schedule as possible, and I definitely plan to do that!! 

Next on my schedule is finding a wig.  I've found one online that I really like -- actually looks better than my hair.  LOL  But I plan to look locally first.  Cindy says I need to go wig shopping while I still have my hair so that they can match my color and style!  I will probably do that in the next few days because I'm planning on getting a "shortie" cut in the next week or so just to kind of transition from having hair to being a "baldie." 

I'm feeling very optimistic that this is still just a blip on my radar -- maybe a bigger one than I first imagined -- but a blip, nevertheless.   The Beast, as I've nicknamed my cancer, will not get me!!


Rachel
 

No comments:

Post a Comment