This has been one of "those" weeks here in the Cushing household. I started off the week Sunday morning feeling pretty good but ended up back in the hospital on Tuesday afternoon after running a fever and feeling lousy on Monday. My counts had bottomed out again -- this time, though, it wasn't limited to my white blood counts. The hematacrit/red blood cell count, along with my potassiium, was apparently on the skids too. After two days of antibiotics and two units of red blood, my counts were up by Thursday morning and I was able to go home -- or should I say, with a five-hour detour to get home. Because I had driven myself to Dr. Bondly's office Tuesday morning, my car was in the hospital parking deck. But being the obedient patient that I am (LOL), I had Jenn (who was playing hookey from AU while I was in the hospital) come officially pick me up and then drive me to my car in the parking deck. Telling her I had a couple of errands to run, I immediately called Cindy J. to see what I could do to help with the Breast Cancer Shrimp Boil that she was hosting yesterday. After a quick detour to Ross' to look for some new luggage (no luck), I got to Cindy's office and spent about an hour putting together gift bags for yesterday's festivities. Realizing that she still had so much to do, and feeling guilty because I wasn't pulling my fair load of the work for this year's fundraiser, I volunteered to go back downtown to The Fish Market and pick up 50 pounds of shrimp. After delivering the shrimp back to Cindy's office, I then went to T. J. Maxx (still looking for a new suitcase, successful this time), the bank, and to Publix before finally getting home at 5:00 p.m. When I walked in the house, Jenn said, "Where have YOU been?" LOL. Such a role reversal!!!
Yesterday's "Boil Out Breast Cancer" was a huge success. Thanks to all my family and friends who donated to this worthy cause. At last count, we raised nearly $10,000 for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation of Alabama. Everyone seemed to really enjoy the shrimp boil (or "Frogmore Stew" as we call it at Fripp Island, SC). The weather was perfect, and a good time was had by all! It was a lot of hard work (for our "Bunch of Boobs", as we call ourselves), and I've promised that next year I will make up for my lack of work this year!!
Another good day for my Tide -- after its usual slow start. The "Game of the Century", as it's being billed now, is in two weeks, November 5, in Tuscaloosa against those crazy Cajuns from LSU. Sorry, Bill, I couldn't resist!!! Ken is chomping at the bit to sell our tickets for the asking prices now of around $500 each, but I'm equally chomping to go to the game! So, we'll see what happens. I heard a rumor today that the game may be moved to primetime since both teams are undefeated. I have mixed feelings about that, if it does happen. I love night games at Bryant Denney, but getting home after midnight on a Saturday night is a killer on us old folks.
Ken and I are flying out early in the morning for Arlington, Virginia. He has a conference through Thursday noon, so I'll be on my own for a few days. Hopefully I will feel up to some sightseeing. I'm thinking bus tours sound pretty good. I'm pretty sure walking for any amount of time or distance won't be happening. I haven't been to Washington before, so hopefully I'll get to see some of the sights. On Thursday we are renting a car and driving to Richmond to spend a couple of days with Ken's brother Bill and his wife Gale. We'll be home on Saturday. Thanks, Patty, for housesitting!!
I am so out of shape it's ridiculous. I have been cleared to officially get back in the pool now, so hopefully I'll start getting some exercise on a regular basis. I'm pretty sure I can't swim many laps now, or do an hour's worth of water aerobics, anymore.
Hope you all have a great week!!
Have fun on your trip, but please don't exhaust yourself! We love you and want you to recover real soon!! Love, Kelly
ReplyDelete