Well, my plan to finish chemo before Christmas has taken a setback! Monday and Tuesday were not good days -- why should I be surprised since they were Day 8 and 9 since last treatment. Monday I could not drag myself out of the bed until nearly noon, and my intention to get the house cleaned went down the drain--literally. All I managed to accomplish was getting the kitchen reasonably cleaned and my bathtub somewhat clean!! I checked my temperature on Monday several times to make sure that I was not running a fever. Yesterday (Tuesday) I felt somewhat better in the morning but was suffering dreadfully with mouth sores/yeast and a few other issues! As the day wore on, however, I got to feeling worse. By supper, I really had a case of the "poor pitiful me's". Erin called about 6:30 on her way home from work and, after hearing how my day had gone, asked me had I checked my temperature. Of course, I had not. So, being the obedient mother that I am, I quickly got my new thermometer out and, much to my surprise, my temp was 100.6 -- over the threshold for calling my oncologist's office. She ordered me to call Dr. Bondly's office, which I did. Dr. Bondly called me back almost immediately and told me to go directly to the emergency room. After a five hour stay in the ER, I was admitted to Room 416. My white blood count this time was 400 -- apparently dangerously low. Thinking I'd only be here 24 hours at the most, I didn't pack much in the way of things to do or wear here. No computer, no books, no puzzles, etc, and no snacks!!
When Dr. Bondly finally came to see me about 11:45 this morning, much to my surprise, she said I'd probably be here until Friday, maybe Saturday. Hopefully I'll be home for all the good football games on Saturday.
Erin drove down this morning and is staying here in the hospital with me tonight and will drive back to Huntsville late tomorrow afternoon. Jenn is coming on Friday and, I'm guessing, will probably stay on Friday if I'm still here!! Thank you, Lord, for sweet, caring daughters.
Dr. Bondly says my chemo scheduled for Monday will be postponed a week -- now will be Monday, October 10, I guess. She also says she's going to reduce the amount of the drug(s) in an effort to keep this from happening again. Maybe that will cut down on the mouth sores and other side effects. That treatment will be halfway through chemo!!
Ken brought my laptop tonight, so now I'll at least be connected to the outside world while confined here.
Counting my blessings!!
Rachel
No comments:
Post a Comment