Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What a Game! Tide Rolls Over LSU 21-0

Before bragging on my Tide, I want to preface this post by first saying congratulations to the LSU Tigers (and my brother-in-law Bill Cushing, a proud LSU alum) for a great season.  Bill and Gale, if y'all don't want to read this post, I truly understand.  You have my permission to just skip over this one and wait for the next.  LOL

Last night my team both shocked me and made me proud to be part of the Crimson Nation.  In my wildest dreams I never dreamed that we'd dominate LSU like we did.  In fact, I wasn't totally convinced that we were going to win.  However, I was hopeful.  On November 5, the first game between the Tide and Tigers, by the time kickoff came, I had an ominous feeling about the game.  I think deep down I knew the Tigers would win.  Last night I had a totally different feeling -- no, I wasn't sure we were going to win.  In fact, it was a feeling that I was hyperventilating.  My chest literally was killing me, and this was prior to the game kicking off!  Haha.  What was wrong with me?  I'm usually pretty calm, but for some reason last night was different.  Ken was his usual unruffled self.  When I told him my chest was killing me, his response (in typical Cushing fashion) was "it's only a game."  Yeah, I know, it's a game, and my life is not going to be changed one iota by the outcome. 

As the first half came to a close, and we had managed to kick three field goals, I was thinking to myself LSU came back against both Arkansas and Georgia after playing bad first halves; they might do it again.  After all, we were not scoring touchdowns.  To think that Bama would shut out LSU never crossed my mind.  I still can't believe it today.  That's what, in my opinion, is so shocking about the win -- the first shutout ever in a BCS game, not just the championship game but a BCS game!  I know LSU is a better team than what they showed last night.  I don't know if it was the pressure of being Number 1 or if they were just flat, unprepared or what, but I do realize one thing:  If these Bama and LSU teams played 10 times, each team would probably win five of them!!   I'm just thankful that last night our team came out on top. 

After watching a little postgame wrap-up on TV, Ken and I finally went to bed.  I was so keyed up that, of course, I couldn't sleep -- and this was after taking two Advils and one of my chemo "sleeping/nausea" pills.  I just could not shut my mind off.  Funny thing, today when I talked to Ken on the phone, he was yawning.  So, I said "so you didn't sleep either?"  "Not really."  Maybe he does care more about a game than he admits..............................................................

OR (and this is more likely the reason):

It was that jambalaya I cooked for supper last night.  It was my first attempt at cajan food, and while it was pretty good, I actually couldn't clean my plate.  I like hot, spicy stuff (and Ken usually doesn't), but this was even a bit much for me.  Being the good hubby that he is, he cleaned his plate. 

So I'm now thinking that the source of our sleeplessness -- along with all my chest pains last night -- was my jambalaya.  So much for cooking Louisiana style.  Little did I know that my hubby, who lived in New Orleans during his high school years, had never even tried jambalaya.  LOL   I'm not sure what I'll do with the leftovers.  Not sure we can survive another sleepless/chest pain-filled night. 

As much as I hate to, I guess it's time to take down the Bama Christmas tree.  If only I could just move it upstairs, decorations and all!  Obviously, it brought my team some "luck" this year, so it will have to be an annual staple in our bedroom during Christmas season. 

Love you all,

Rachel

Bama 21 - LSU 0     1/9/12

No comments:

Post a Comment