Today I had the chemo port removed at the hospital. We had to be at the hospital at 6:00 -- forgot that today was a holiday for Ken when I scheduled the surgery. So much for sleeping in this morning. Everything went smoothly, except for one momentary little scare. The anesthesiologist came into our room about 7:00 and asked his usual litany of pre-op questions. Then he said, "Did anyone talk to you about your white count level from your pre-op blood work last Thursday?" Uh-oh, I'm thinking, it must have bottomed out last week and I didn't know it. Imagine my surprise when he said it was extremely high. "How high", I asked. "30,800." He asked had I had any fevers, had I been sick, any symptoms. Nope. I've actually felt quite good for the past five or six days.
Now, granted, I had had my Neulasta shot eight days earlier, but a level of over 30,000 is EXTREMELY high. My normal is around 4,000, maybe as much as 12,000 after a Neulasta shot. Sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing because I immediately began thinking about diseases associated with extremely high white counts -- primarily leukemia.
The anesthesiologist ordered another CBC test to be run and said if it was still in the extreme range that I should go back to my oncologist. So before going to the OR holding room, I had to get blood drawn. Results were not available before surgery, of course.
Dr. Winchester decided not to put me all the way under but, rather, just to give me the don't-care shot. I remember bits and pieces of being in the OR. I was pleasantly surprised that they did not put the usual blue paper cap on my head but instead let me wear my houndstooth doo-rag into surgery!! I heard a few "Go Bama's" as I was wheeled from place to place. LOL.
I got back to my room around 9:30, I think, and thankfully got the results of the morning's blood work. My white blood count was down to 11,200, much, much better. Still on the high end of normal, but nothing to be worried about, I don't think. Obviously my blood counts are very, very sensitive to both chemo and the Neulasta shot.
We left the hospital around 10:45, headed to the pharmacy to get my antibiotic prescription filled, and then, because I was craving pizza, headed for a pizza buffet. We actually went to Center Point, only to find that CiCi's had closed down (hadn't been there in years) and finally ended back up in Trussville at Pizza Hut (hadn't been there in years either). But it was good and satisfied my need for pizza/salad.
I've pretty much been a bum this afternoon, but that's really because I wanted to, not because I felt bad. Haha. Other than a little soreness at the surgery site, I feel fine.
Next up is my first appointment with my radiation oncologist -- Dr. Susan Salter. I see her at 8:00 a.m. next Tuesday. I'm assuming that radiation will start sometime next week or the week after.
Oh, by the way, we finally got the Bama tree down this weekend. Our bedroom looks kind of forlorn right now. But I can walk on my side of the bed without brushing up against a tree! I'm thinking that, based on how the season went for Bama this past year, that I definitely need to put the tree up again. Of course, I might have to put it up in September or October rather than wait until the traditional decorating season!!
The only tree left up now is the breast cancer tree in the dining room. It will stay up at least until after the radiation treatments are over.
Rachel
Yay Mom!!!! Glad you're done with chemo!!!!
ReplyDelete