Tuesday, January 3, 2012

CHEMO IS OFFICIALLY OVER!!

Today, January 3, 2012, marks the end of the second leg of my fight against the "Beast."  First there was the surgery, which was no big deal.  Hopefully I made the right decision opting for the breast conserving "lumpectomy with clean margins" surgery rather than a mastectomy.  Both my surgeon and oncologist recommended this option, and I trust their judgment.  Hopefully time will prove that this was the correct decision for me. 

Nearly four and a half months ago, on August 22, 2011, I had my first chemo treatment.  I distinctly remember that first treatment and how, for some reason, I wasn't overly fearful or stressed out about it.  Looking back now, I know it was because I was in good hands -- my doctors' hands and God's hands -- and I had so many people praying for me.  There were a few bumps in the road during the chemo treatments, but aside from two trips to the hospital and a few self-imposed quarantines at home, along with a few mouth issues and lack of appetite due to food tasting funny, I can truly say that chemo therapy, at least for me, was not so bad!!  I'm glad I took my doctor's advice and had the chemo.  With triple negative breast cancer, you have to be agressive in its treatment and throw everything available at it.

Today's treatment was not without its minor issues, though.  First, for some reason, my blood pressure was very low -- 92/58.  My counts were good, though:  All back to the low end of "normal."  The next issue arose when the nurse tried to access my port.  No such luck.  The thing had finally had enough chemo and obviously had malfunctioned since Treatment 7.  Thinking back now, I remember two or three days ago that the area around my port felt funny.  Something must have "popped" because all it would do today was leak fluid -- a definite no-no for chemo.  Because today was my last treatment, the nurses opted to do my chemo via the old-fashioned IV in the arm.  For some reason, it took what seemed like forever to get the treatment today.  I took my laptop with me to work on a job, but with the IV in my arm, it was nearly impossible to work.  Every bend in my elbow brought on a "beep, beep, beep" from the IV machine.  I gave up on the job and just talked to the other chemo warriors in the room.

Don't know what the week will hold as far as side effects/fever, etc., but hopefully it won't be too bad.  I may have to quarantine myself this weekend and early next week, but I'm hoping, and expecting, to feel good by 7:30 on Monday, January 9, 2012, the night that hopefully my Bama team brings home its 14th National Championship.  In honor of that goal, I am leaving my Bama Christmas tree up until after the game is over.



Reflecting back on the last six months (since diagnosis on July 5), I've learned so much about myself and others around me.  Just a few thoughts, and I know I'm probably repeating myself -- blame it on chemo brain!!!
  • I'm stronger than I thought I was.  I always knew I was stubborn (Holt genes help with that), but strength and courage, I wasn't sure about that.  Truly I haven't been tested before, at least to any great extent.  Making it through chemo, without too much stress, proves that I can handle the tough times that will, at one time or another, affect all of us.
  •  I have such wonderful family and friends.  They have really stood behind me, lifted me up, and loved me through this fight.  I could not have gotten to the end of this phase of treatment without them.
  • To the ones who drove me to treatments and stayed there, enouraging me, I can never thank you enough.  Thanks to Teresa Sunderland, Kay Jones, Patty Thomas,Martha Dodson,   my sister-in-law Ann Palmer, and, of course, my wonderful girls, Erin and Jenn, for the hours you spent driving and sitting with me and supporting me.  Hopefully I didn't leave anyone out.  Thanks also to all the others who offered to drive! 
  • To everyone who brought food to the house after treatments, I cannot tell you what a help that was.  My cooking has totally taken a nosedive this last year.  Not cooking very often, coupled with no taste buds, makes for a bad cook sometimes!
  • To the countless others who've sent cards, text messages, called to check on me, sent me books of encouragement and other gifts to cheer me up, left comments on my Facebookk page, thank you.  They mean the world to me!
  • And finally, to the new friends I've made since my diagnosis, you have been such a blessing to me.  Without my diagnosis, I doubt our paths would have ever crossed.  I'm firmly convinced that God placed you in my life for a reason.  May we always be friends and "sisters" in the fight against the Beast!
In honor of my fight, I'm leaving my Breast Cancer tree up until I totally finish my treatments and hear those magical words:  "No evidence of disease."  I'll be starting radiation treatments probably the end of January and will hopefully finish with that by mid-March.  I continue to solicit your prayers and support and thank you all for being my friends and family.  I have the best family and friends that a girl could ask for!!

Rachel

2 comments:

  1. Hooray!!! This is awesome news honey. I pray the next few days and future days are great brighter healthy days! Maybe in 2012 it will be a good good year...love uuuu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! That phase is over and you came thru like the champ you are. You are so AUSOME! (Thats how it should be spelled.). I'm here if needed for ANYTHING. You go, Girl!

    ReplyDelete