Monday, February 6, 2012

Five Down -- Only 31 to Go!

After a rocky beginning last week, my radiation treatments are finally going according to schedule -- at least for now.   After fussing last Monday about the delay on Day 1, I was finally scheduled for 4:45 that afternoon.  They were ready for me when I got there.  I had been told that Day 1 would be the longest, and hardest, treatment, but I don't think I was really prepared for how tedious and uncomfortable it was going to be.  X-rays had to be taken, final markings and measurements  made, and Dr. Salter, my radiology oncologist, had to approve everything before we could actually begin the radiation treatment.  From beginningthe process to end of the treatment was exactly an hour -- 60 minutes of laying perfectly still, arms outstretched over my head with my head turned awkwardly to the right.  Before the hour was up, I wanted to scream and pull what little hair I have on my head out.  Why is it that your nose always itches when you CAN'T scratch it?  Or your eyes suddenly water when you cannot move?  I had been given strict orders not to move, and I tried to be a model patient, but it was hard.  Never have I been so glad to hear those words, "You can move now."  After being advised to go home and take some Advil or Tylenol (for the arm pain that I would experience), I finally left the cancer center at 6:05 p.m.  My treatment time for the remaining treatments was 12:15 Monday through Fridays. 

On Tuesday I got to the cancer center at 12:15, only to be told by the valet parking attendant, "Ms Cushing, I'm not going to move your car very far because you are not going to be in there very long; the machine is down."  What?  No one called to tell me?  After confirming with the receptionist and technicians that the machine had, indeed, gone down a little earlier and that a new part was being ordered and the machine would not be back online until Wednesday about lunch time, I was told to "wait until we call you before coming in on Wednesday." 

On Wednesday, they finally called and told me to come in at 4:30.  Thankfully, Ken had been out of town all week, so I didn't have to cook supper.  Treatment 2 was a breeze -- I was in and out in about 20 minutes.  Since Wednesday, knock on wood, the machine has been working fine, and today I had Treatment 5. 

Yesterday I was extremely fatigued, but I don't think it was as a result of radiation -- if it was, then I'm in real trouble!  Supposedly, the effects of radiation are cumulative; the more treatments I have, the more the fatigue will set in and the more likely it is that I will experience skin irritation/burns.  Hopefully my fatigue yesterday was because last week was such a busy week.  In addition to going daily to the cancer center, we moved Ken's mom on Friday to the skilled nursing unit at Greenbriar where my dad also is.  We are hopeful that she will adjust to the change, but as expected, she is confused and asking about "going home."  Thankfully, her sweet sitter, Betty, that she has had for over five years is with her at Greenbriar during the daytime hours.

Erin and Travis came for a weekend visit -- without our grandkittens!  Apparently they behaved themselves while Mommie and Daddy were away for the weekend; however, their food bowl was empty upon their parents' arrival back home yesterday.  No telling how long they had been without food.  They were put on a "diet" last week because someone at their vet's office told Travis that Felix was "obese" for his age (eight months).  Poor Gabby, she has to diet, too, apparently! 

Enough rambling for now.  Have a great week!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment