Saturday, November 26, 2011

Game Day/Thanksgiving

Today is the Big Game -- the 2011 Iron Bowl.  Bama fans have waited 366 days for this day.  After last year's second half collapse against the Tigers, we have something to prove.  As Coach Saban says, "NEVER AGAIN!"  I'm not in the camp that believes that we are going to decimate Auburn today.  I think it will be back and forth for awhile, but I'm cautiously optimistic that in the end the "good guys" will prevail today (sorry to my Auburn friends who read this blog).

We have just about finished decorating for Christmas.  This year we put a tree in our bedroom (a first).  It was originally going to be an angel tree with red and silver ornaments.  But after pulling out my decorations, I could not find my collection of miniature Dreamcycles (cherubs).  Ken ordered these for me not too long after we got married, and I've used them every year until last year when I changed the theme of our tree in the great room.  What I did with those ornaments, I have no idea.  Hopefully they will turn up.  They are very special to me! 

So, what's a girl to do but go to Plan B when decorating.  The tree was magically transformed in an Alabama Crimson Tide tree, and it's the first thing I see in the mornings when I open my eyes (or in the case of this week, when I open my eyes all through the night because I'm not sleeping well!!).  In addition to the red and silver ornaments, I found some houndstooth ornaments at the gift shop at St. Vincent's Hospital on Tuesday, and I bought several (should have gotten some more). 
Erin and Jenn took some plain white ornaments and decorated them with houndstooth duct tape -- with the Script A and ribbon like is on the grass at Bryant Denny.  LOL  (Thanks to Aunt Judy for the ornaments and duct tape and the other Bama stuff for the tree). 

Here's a picture of the decorated tree. 


We had a good Thanksgiving.  Thankfully, I was able to go with Jenn and Ken to Ann and Gary's house for lunch.  While our crowd was smaller than usual, we had a good afternoon with great food.  I actually managed to clean my plate for a change, although I didn't fill up my plate as much as I ordinarily would pre-cancer.   We missed having the rest of our family with us.  About 4:00 we all went over to Ken's mom's house and visited with her for a little while.  Afterwards, Ken, Jenn and I went to Greenbriar to see my parents.  Things have changed so much over the last few years on both sides of our family, and sometimes I want to cry when I think back to the holidays of the past, but I do have so much to be thankful for, despite whatever life throws at us.  God never promised us a life free of trials -- in fact, it's the trials that make us stronger.  But He is with us in good times and bad, if we're faithful to Him. 

I have not felt very good since Thursday night -- fever and aches and pains, but that's just something to be endured after each treatment, I guess.  Only two more to go.  God willing, I will finish this part of my battle the first week in January -- although if we somehow find a way to go to the BSC championship game (provided Bama gets in), I may talk to my oncologist about doing the last treatment a few days early so that I'd feel pretty good by game day.  LOL.  Talk about putting the cart before the horse!!   We've got to beat Auburn first and then hope that we get a rematch with LSU. 

Bill and Gale, you need to be finding tickets to the big game!   We need to have a Bama/LSU reunion in New Orleans.  LOL

Take care.  Love you all. 

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment