Yep, it's true. I'm going to be a granny. Erin and Travis are expecting their first child. Her due date is February 21, which will be five days after Jenn's 23rd birthday. Maybe the baby will be born a few days early on his/her Aunt Jenn's birthday. We were totally surprised by the news, although I should have figured it out before being told. I'm pretty sure that chemo did a number on my perceptive powers (along with my body and brain). We are excited about being grandparents but sad that we'll be nearly two hours away. It's probably a good thing we won't be right next door because if my granny skills with our four-legged grandbabies are any indication, I'd probably spoil the baby too much if I were around him or her all the time. I just hope my baby skills come back. I feel like I've forgotten everything I've ever knew about little ones.
Last week was my first year anniversary of what I'm considering my cancer-free life. This time last year I was recuperating from the breast surgery and "looking forward" to upcoming chemo and radiation treatments. LOL. I had my first mammogram and ultrasound on July 10, and things looked good. Prior to my mammo appointment, I did find what felt like a small lump on my scar, and both my oncology doctors and the radiologist wanted me to have my surgeon, Dr. Winchester, take a look at it just to be on the safe side. They felt like it was just scar tissue or something called "fatty necrosis," so I wasn't worried about it. I finally got in to see Dr. Winchester on Friday afternoon. She was, as usual, running behind, so I didn't get out of her office until nearly 5:45 p.m. (got there at 2:00)!! She wanted to do a biopsy just to rule out anything, but she too feels like it is something benign and nothing to worry about. I will get the results on Tuesday afternoon. Having the biopsy done was no big deal; however, it put a kink in our plans to go to the lake this weekend because I couldn't get in the shower (or lake) for at least 24 hours after the procedure. So, in my mind, I'm thinking why go to the lake if I can't get in the water. It's too hot to just sit out on the dock. So, we opted to stay in Trussville and get some things done around here. Next weekend will definitely be spent at the lake!!
I can't believe college football season starts in less than five weeks. Crazy!! It doesn't seem that long ago that Alabama was on its way to its 14th National Championship. Hopefully this year I will make it to more than one game in Tuscaloosa. We have season tickets to the home games, but Ken's not the fanatic that I am, and he'd just as soon watch the games on TV as to fight the traffic and crowds in T-town on Saturdays. But he does humor me and go to a few each year. Thankfully, Erin and Travis usually go to the games that we don't, or cant.
Not to shock all my Bama friends, but I am actually looking for two tickets to the September 22 Auburn/LSU game. Ken's brother (a LSU alum) and his wife Gale are coming down that week for a visit, and we're all going to Auburn that Saturday. Jenn asked me who I was going to cheer for, and I said "the Tigers," of course. LOL. Which Tigers? Who knows. I might be a Bama redneck and wear crimson that day. If anyone knows where I can buy some "reasonably-priced" tickets to see the Tigers v. Tigers, let me know.
Have a great day. Love you all,
Rachel
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil. 4:13
No comments:
Post a Comment