Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Long Time - No Update

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted an update to this blog.  I couldn't decide if I had anything to say or not! 

It's been a month since treatments ended, and I'm feeling really good most days.  I do have times when I'm tired, but that's to be expected.  I've been going to the pool and working out in the water, which feels great -- even on these cool, cloudy mornings.  I have to be careful in the sun, which I've not always been good at.  I usually have a pretty good base tan by now, but I'm lily white.  Might be that way the whole summer. 

Ken and I have set a new record for trips to the lake.  We've gone three times during the past month.  Usually we're lucky to get up there one time every two months, and less often than that during the winter, but we're trying to find more time for enjoying the slow pace of life in Winston County!!  We are having our pontoon boat refurbished, i.e., new seats, new console, new top, painting the exterior and new decals on the side.  We know our limits, however, so instead of doing the work ourselves, we've hired a guy who lives at the lake to do the work.  We should have the 'toon back in a couple of weeks. 

I've spent the better part of the last two or three weeks deciding on stuff to buy for the 'toon -- still trying to decide on a new cover.  I am determined that we will take better care of the boat than we have the past nearly 9 1/2 years. 

Jenn graduates in less than three weeks from Auburn -- with a B.S. degree in Chemical Engineering.  We are so very proud of her and her many accomplishments.  After taking a year off and hopefully working at UAB doing research, she plans to start medical school in the fall of 2013.  She's waiting to get the results of her MCAT test taken last month.  She has worked very hard both in her school work and her efforts to get into med school, and I know she will be successful in whatever the future holds for her!!   We are going to Auburn on Saturday for her sorority's Parent's Weekend celebration where she and her fellow senior "sisters" will be honored.   Graduation is on Monday, May 7 at 10:00 a.m.  These past four years have flown by.  Jenn entered Auburn in the fall of 2008 a young 18-year-old girl, and now she's a mature, independent 22-year-old with unlimited potential.

I had lunch today at the Bright Star in Bessemer with my dear water aerobics friends, Jill, Bibby and Suzanne.  I had not been there in over 30 years.  Look who we saw when leaving. 



Gene Stallings is such a nice man.  He's in town doing his yearly golf tournaments to benefit the Rise Center and Bell Center.  For all of you who have not seen the new "me," here it is.  Hair is still very, very short -- but growing, and is funny looking, white on sides and top and BLACK in back.  Black is a new color for me.  Not sure if I like it at all.  My oncologist says I can color it if I want to, but I'm not about to do that yet.  I'm going to let it grow awhile and then decide if I want to go back to my brown/auburn bottle color!!

Well, enough for now.  I really need to get on my next project -- repainting Jenn's room and the adjoining playroom and cleaning out a closet for her clothes.  She will be home in less than three weeks, so I need to get moving.  As Erin says, I work better under pressure, so that must explain why I've procrastinated on this painting job.  LOL

Love you all,

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment